Saturday, August 27, 2005

Redoubling my efforts

I'm deboubling my effort to write in my blog every day. It's just like exercising regularly, or going on a diet. It just takes quite a bit to get started, but once I get in the groove, everything falls into place automatically. I like writing but spend way too much time thinking than putting thoughts on paper (or its electronic cousin.)

So yesterday I gave my administrative assistant her annual review. As usual, it is glowing. She is organized, professional, responsive, discreet, deals well with internal and external customers, what more can you ask for. Well, you can. She herself wants to move away from supporting others to building an expertise of her own. Last fall, in large part due to my encouragement, she started evening classes towards completing an undergraduate degree in business. It will take her another 2 to 2.5 years to finish at this point. Unfortunately she'll have to take a leave of absence in the fall semester due to surgery, but I encourage her to go back in January.

Once her undergrad is completed, she wants to pursue a career in training and development. So we discussed different career paths and preparations. It's fun to play academic adviser again. When I used to do it as a full-time job, it was exciting to see all the possibilities in front of 18 and 19 year olds. Now it's great to see all the possibilities in front of a 45 year old. Life is ever changing and ever growing. Each of us needs to grow with our lives.

No comments: